Quinn — aka Molly Quinn McMuffin — is Ellen’s 13-year-old Golden Retriever Hearing Ear Dog. She and her brother Dakota were the first dogs participating in the Maine Prison Pup program, and she is named after the woman who initiated the project, Sister Pauline Quinn.
Quinn and Ellen — a late-deafened adult with miraculous cochlear implants — were a team for 12 years thanks to NEADS, the Princeton, MA-based association which is the longest continually running program providing dogs for deaf and disabled Americans.
Quinn, who is now retired, went from being an inmate to being an innmate, and alerted Ellen to sounds Ellen cannot hear by tapping Ellen’s leg with her paw.
Charley, our new resident Bichoodle hearing dog, now alerts Ellen to sounds by jumping to touch her. Thanks to Quinn and Charley, Ellen has never been late for breakfast! In the morning, Charley hears the alarm clock, leaps on top of Ellen and insistently taps her until she gets out of bed. What a wonderful way to greet the day!
Quinn, and now Charley, also let Ellen know when the stove timer goes off — no burned chocolate chip cookies here! — as well as the door bell, smoke detector, etc. Cookies are their reward for a job well done. And they like to be the first at the door to greet guests and guest pups at our Lenox Inn!
At breakfast, you’ll often find Quinn by the fire, hoping you’ll drop something on the floor but please don’t! Quinn is on a very strict diet. A born innkeeper, Quinn circulates throughout breakfast, making sure you are well taken care of. She may also join you for afternoon tea.
Both Quinn and Charley love playing ball, and you’ll often see them with one in their mouths, ever hopeful that you’ll play with them outside. And they love walks, especially in Kennedy Park across the street from our Lenox B&B.
They absolutely love our homemade doggie cookies and have taste-tested all of the recipes in our Fun for Foodies’ Dog Day Afternoon dog cookie baking class, which they attentively supervise.
Because Charley (and previously Quinn) is a service dog, he is Ellen’s constant companion, and you’ll often see us in Lenox at our favorite restaurants, shops, and at Tanglewood.
With her warm chocolate eyes, loving smile, and magnificent tail, Quinn makes friends wherever she goes. Just give Quinn a pat or two, and she’ll be your friend for life!Toss a soft fuzzy ball with Charley and he’ll follow you everywhere.
Room Rates and Policies
- All rates are per room, double occupancy. There is a $40.00 charge for each additional person.
- A full country, award-winning breakfast, served at individual tables generally at 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m., and afternoon tea are included in all room rates.
- State and local room tax is 11.7%.
- Rates and minimum stays are subject to increases for most holidays and special events.
- Prices and terms are subject to change without notice (but not once you have made your reservation).
- Please click here to see the rate chart for our Lenox Massachusetts Lodging.
- Smoking is not permitted within the inn or within 10 feet of the entry, porch, and Carriage House doors. Smoking is permitted in the garden.
- Quinn, Ellen’s very friendly Golden Retriever hearing ear dog, is in residence as is her “granddog” Piper. We welcome all service dogs and accept well-behaved guest dogs whenever possible. (See Pet Policy)
- Children – well-behaved children 12 and over are welcome at our Lodging in Lenox MA.
- Summer weekend reservations are accepted from repeat guests only until early February. New guests are invited to put their names on our waiting list, and they will be contacted in February.
- We do not have a liquor license but guests are welcome to bring their own alcoholic beverages.
Minimum Stays and Deposits:
- There is a three-night minimum stay on Tanglewood Season weekends as well as on most holiday weekends.
- There is a two-night minimum stay for midweek stays during Tanglewood and Foliage Seasons.
- Weekends during Tanglewood Season are Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- There is a two-night minimum stay on weekends, excluding holiday weekends, from Labor Day through late June.
- Minimum stays are subject to increases for most holidays
- A one-night deposit for stays of three nights or less (with a valid major credit card, check or money order) is required when making a reservation. A 50% deposit is required for stays of four nights or more.
- Should you wish to cancel or change your reservation for any reason, we do require at least 14 days’ advance notice (21 days from June-November 1) during Tanglewood and Foliage Seasons, the Christmas-New Year’s holiday season, and longer for groups of 3 or more rooms) by telephone. With at least 14 (21) days’ notice, we will refund your deposit, less a service charge of 10% of your total reservation.
- Cancellations made within the 14-day (21-day) period will be charged for the full amount of the reserved stay unless we are able to rebook the room.
- If we are able to rebook the room, we will refund the rebooked portion, less the 10% service charge.
- We are a small inn and cancellations affect us dramatically. If you have any concerns about possibly having to cancel, we do recommend inexpensive trip cancellation insurance.
Check-In and Check-Out Times:
- Check-in: 3:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. We are unable to accommodate early check-ins. If you anticipate arriving after 8:30 p.m., please let us know ahead of time so that we can make special arrangements.
- Check-out: 11:00 a.m.
- All guest rooms have private baths, hairdryers, and toiletries.
- All guest rooms have telephones for outgoing calls.
- All guest and public rooms have free wireless internet access.
- All guest rooms are air-conditioned (seasonal). Fireplaces are also seasonal.
- A portable stereo system is available for guest use.
- Irons and ironing boards are available for guest use.
Special Events at Birchwood Inn: We welcome the opportunity to host:
- Small weddings (under 30 guests)
- Family/friend reunions; small conferences/retreats
- Luncheons and teas
- Open to guests from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m.
- Our guest refrigerator is stocked with soft drinks, and there is some room for guest food and drinks.
- Coffee and tea are available 24/7, with a Keurig System for coffee and an Instant Hot dispenser for tea
- Ice maker, ice buckets, corkscrews
- Concierge Service: We are happy to make dinner reservations for our guests and provide a wealth of information and directions.