Quinn — aka Molly Quinn McMuffin — is Ellen’s 14-year-old Golden Retriever and former Hearing Ear Dog. She and her brother Dakota were the first dogs participating in the Maine Prison Pup program, and she is named after the woman who initiated the project, Sister Pauline Quinn.
Quinn and Ellen — a late-deafened adult with miraculous cochlear implants — were a team for 12 years thanks to NEADS, the Princeton, MA-based association.
Quinn, who is now retired, went from being an inmate to being an innmate, and alerted Ellen to sounds Ellen cannot hear by tapping Ellen’s leg with her paw.
Charley, our new resident Bichoodle hearing dog, now alerts Ellen to sounds by jumping to touch her. Thanks to Quinn and Charley, Ellen has never been late for breakfast!
Quinn, and now Charley, also let Ellen know when the stove timer goes off — no burned chocolate chip cookies here! As well as the door bell, smoke detector, etc. Cookies are their reward for a job well done. They like to be the first at the door to greet guests and guest pups at our Lenox Inn!
At breakfast, you’ll often find Quinn by the fire, hoping you’ll drop something on the floor but please don’t! Quinn is on a very strict diet. A born innkeeper, Quinn circulates throughout breakfast, making sure you are well taken care of. She may also join you for afternoon tea.
Quinn & Charley look forward to welcoming you and your dog to Birchwood Inn!
Join us with your furry friends! At Birchwood Inn we understand that pets are an important part of our lives, and we love pampering you and your pet as our guests.
BirchWOOF Inn Pampered Pet Package
We welcome every dog guest with a comfy dog bed, bowl, towels, pick-up bags, and inn-made Birchwood dog biscuits… taste-tested and wholeheartedly approved by Quinn and Charley, our resident service dogs.
There is a daily fee of $25.00 for each dog. This provides for additional cleaning, which allows us to give pet travelers the choice of any our Lenox, MA bed and breakfast rooms for your stay.
Dog Friendly Berkshires Amenities
Birchwood Inn is the perfect destination for pet friendly vacations in the Berkshires. Kennedy Park is just across the street from our Lenox bed and breakfast, offering more than 450 acres of year-round dog friendly trails to explore. We can also provide recommendations for a number of restaurants that provide pet friendly outdoor dining. And if you want to visit local attractions that do not welcome dogs, we are only a short drive from Camp Wagalot, a well-known and well-loved day and overnight camp for dogs, or we can arrange for a dog-sitter at the Inn (advance reservations required.)
Birchwood Inn’s Pet Policy
To ensure that all guests have an enjoyable stay, we require that all pet parents read and agree to the following policy:
- First and foremost, dogs must be very well-behaved and well-trained furry guests.
- Depending on availability, we accept up to 2 guest dogs at the inn at one time.
- We require that guest dogs be bathed and groomed before coming to the Inn and be at least one-year old.
- Please present proof of vaccinations at check-in.
- We must know your pup’s breed before we can accept them as guests as there are a few breeds for which we are not insured and a couple of which Quinn and Charley are afraid.
- Because Quinn and Charley are service dogs and must not be distracted while working, guest pups cannot be in public rooms and need to be on a leash at all times.
- Guest pets must be walked off property, and we expect that our guests will clean up after the pets completely. Lenox does have a stoop-and-scoop bylaw as well as a leash bylaw.
- Of course, we ask that your dog NOT share your bed, but please remove the comforter and shams, just in case.
- When guests leave their room or the inn, dogs must accompany them or be crated in their room. We expect that dogs will not disturb other guests by barking or whining.
- Upon arrival, the dog owner will sign a waiver agreeing to pay for any damages caused or extra-cleaning needed due to the dog.
- If your dog is not well-behaved or disturbs other guests by barking, the Inn does have the right to ask the owners to kennel their dog or leave. No refunds will be offered.
- Do your humans have questions about their stay? View our general Inn Policies.
We offer an exceptional pet friendly Berkshires getaway. View our Lenox, MA bed and breakfast rooms and plan your escape today!